Gone are the days of traditional software development that required complex and long lines of incomprehensible code. Today, modern tech-savvy developers turn to popular alternatives to avoid traditional coding hardships and accomplish better results quicker and with less effort.
One such alternative is low-code development. It allows software developers to streamline the process of building interactive applications of varying complexity while saving time and effort.
Low-code platforms help developers streamline the development process, save time, and reduce the cost of developing advanced applications. These advantages make low-code development an ideal solution for companies looking for automation solutions to expedite digital transformation.
Let’s discuss low code/no code development and how it works.
What is low-code development?
Low code refers to a modern, advanced software development solution that makes application building simple, accessible, and cost-efficient.
It brings software development to the fingertips of non-professional, non-technical users by helping them to get ahead of the app-building process without extensive programming.
A low code no code platform allows developers to build apps with drag-and-drop features and user-friendly interfaces using intuitive tools that don’t require extensive knowledge of coding languages or software design. Although users need a minimum learning curve, they can create mobile and web applications without completing additional training.
Low-code development platforms
Low-code platforms help IT professionals build custom software apps by providing user-friendly interfaces that require minimum coding knowledge. They eliminate the need to write complex code for developing custom applications.
Instead of building apps from scratch, developers can design apps according to the client’s requirements and needs using visual building tools and pre-made coding modules. A low-code no-code platform executes frontend and backend code more quickly and efficiently, allowing developers without advanced expertise to build intuitive and interactive mobile and web apps.
Although users must have basic coding skills, low-code development eliminates extensive programming almost completely, making it an ideal alternative to hard-coding applications. In addition, web and mobile apps require regular maintenance and updates.
This ongoing support requires additional time and effort from developers, preventing them from honoring deadlines and the core mission. Thankfully, they can mitigate these challenges by integrating low-code development into current workflows to provide the necessary app support while managing business priorities.
Advantages of low-code app development
Low-code development can help a modern business in various ways:
- Save time – since low-code platforms allow everyone to contribute to app development, you can save time by expediting the process, thus eliminating the dependency on the production team.
- Productivity boost – when all employees in your company participate in the development, you can reshape your organization to make your teams more productive and increase overall efficiency.
- Cost-efficiency – low-code platforms provide the necessary training for your existing workforce, thus allowing you to save resources on hiring additional staff to handle development work.
- Flexible business model – apps require enhancements, updates, and maintenance, which, in turn, require writing more code. Since low-code platforms don’t need complex code to perform the necessary changes, you can make your organization more flexible and scalable by allowing the rest of your workforce to step in when necessary.
- Digital acceleration – while digital transformation might solve many problems, it poses new challenges, such as coping with the ever-increasing consumer demand for more flexible, functional, and interactive mobile and web apps. Thankfully, companies can overcome these obstacles by accelerating workflows and processes with digital transformation.
Low-code development is ideal for reducing the transitional app development burden, accelerating operations, boosting profitability, and maintaining control of your software building requirements, making app development more flexible, scalable, and cost-efficient.
No code development
No-code development is another alternative to hard coding. It allows people with no coding knowledge or experience to develop apps with minimal effort and resources.
The no-code approach is an innovative app development concept that allows businesses to deliver mobile and web apps to the target audiences faster.
Software developers can get their products in front of users within deadlines without making any upgrades or additional investments in existing systems.
All they need to do is to integrate the no-code platform into existing workflows and infrastructure and handle in-house software projects without hiring additional staff.
No-code platforms or app builders provide visual building code blocks to streamline the development process and make it more accessible.
Low-code/no-code pros and cons
- Anyone with basic programming knowledge can use low-code/no-code platforms to develop apps.
- Streamlined app development leads to increased efficiency and productivity.
- Keeps app development in-house, thus increasing the company’s flexibility, scalability, and cost-efficiency.
- Eliminates the need to write code from scratch by offering access to visual app-building tools.
- Makes app updating, customization, and maintenance easier and more affordable.
- Low-code/no-code platforms are vulnerable to security threats.
- Visual building blocks and templates could limit app flexibility and customization.
- A risk of overlooking vital user experience considerations.
Low-code and no-code development platforms support various use cases and business applications. No-code platforms allow anyone without basic coding skills to manipulate pre-made app development templates and create custom apps.
On the other hand, low-code platforms are more appropriate for people with some programming knowledge who want to keep app development in-house and as cost-efficient as possible.
Both solutions allow companies to modernize the app development process and make it more flexible, affordable, and efficient.